Monday, February 20, 2012

Applesauce Muffins





Every single day I want a dessert. I can't help myself but in the evenings I always want something sweet. The same happened yesterday but I didn't have anything to eat. What a catastrophe! Moreover, there was nothing in the fridge. I only had some flour, sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and homemade applesauce leftovers. What to do with such ingredients? Applesauce muffins! Made totally from scratch they turned out fantastically! For fun I decided to make a filling for them.Well.. I think pictures tell more than I. Just look at their moistness. And make them. Now!





For the muffins:
  • 8 tablespoons sweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, softened
  • ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup dark rye flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Pinch salt
For the filling and topping:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6 hazelnuts, finely chopped
  • ~2-3 tablespoons applesauce

Directions: 

  1. To make the muffins: preheat oven to 190C. Line 12 cupcake liners into the tins.
  2. In a large bowl, cream butter, applesauce, sugar and eggs together. Add in vanilla. Gently stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. Pour about a tablespoon batter into the bottom of the tin. Add 1/2 teaspoon filling on top of batter. Cover filling with another tablespoon batter. Sprinkle each with filling (which you set aside - look below).
  4. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let muffins cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
  5. To make the filling: mix ½ tbsp sugar with cocoa and half of the hazelnuts. In another bowl, mix another ½ tbsp sugar with cinnamon and the remaining hazelnuts. Take a teaspoon of each mixture and set aside (for sprinkling the tops). Mix in the applesauce into cinnamon and cocoa fillings to make a smooth not too runny paste.


6 comments:

  1. I have the EXACT same problem with needing a dessert a day. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog-I LOVE yours! It's so cute and your photos are gorgeous (all the food looks so amazing)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to eat something sweet after every meal - it's soooo sad. These muffins look amazingly delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I'd be glad if you make them!

      Delete
  3. i'm like you, i have to eat something sweet every evening, too. it's usually ice cream... but these look so much better than ice cream! that filling!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes.. A piece of cake in the evening makes me feel happy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...