Friday, March 16, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Cake












Sorry I haven't updated my blog for such a long time! The thing is that I'm soo busy with baking recently. And of course - there's so much work and study that I just don't have a spare minute. But! This weekend is going to be a baking weekend from morning till night so I promise to post all my experiments.

By the way, this cake is wonderful. Moist, decadent, rich and so on. And not difficult at all. I prefer it cold because when it is taken out of the fridge it's firmer. You decide! Here's the recipe:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

½ cup (65 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup (120 ml) boiling water
1 tsp vanilla
16 Tbs (225 g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup + 2 Tbs (230 g) sugar, separated
6 large eggs, separated, keeping the whites clean with no trace of yolk or shell
1/8 tsp salt
Scant 1 2/3 cups (170 g) finely ground almonds
½ tsp ground cinnamon

1) Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an ungreased 9-inch (23 cm) baking pan or springform pan with parchment paper.

2) In a small, heatproof bowl, stir the boiling liquid into the cocoa powder and stir until the cocoa is dissolved and the mixture perfectly smooth. Stir in the vanilla and set aside to cool.

3) In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with 1 cup of sugar on low speed until all of the sugar is incorporated into the butter then increase speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks two at a time, beating after each addition just until incorporated, scraping down the sides as necessary. Beat in the cocoa mixture followed by the almonds and ground cinnamon until well blended and the batter is smooth and creamy.

4) Place the whites in a very clean bowl, preferably plastic or metal if possible, with the salt. Using very clean beaters, beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase beater speed to high and continue whipping the whites until opaque and soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 2 tablespoons of the sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peak form.

5) Using a spatula, fold in about a quarter of the stiff egg whites to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining whites, a third at a time, until completely incorporated with no white lumps. The batter should be light and smooth. Scrape into the prepared pan, smooth the top and bake for 60 to 65 minutes. After the first 30 minutes you will want to cover the top of the cake loosely with a square of aluminum foil to avoid overbrowning. The cake is done when the center is just set. Do not overbake.

6) Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 45 minutes. Run a sharp knife blade around the edge to loosen from the sides of the pan before turning the cake out onto a cooling rack or directly onto a serving platter.

Note: I recommend you to refrigerate it overnight before serving because then next day it was much more delicious! I imagine it would be perfect served with vanilla ice cream and raspberry jam.. mmm.. 



6 comments:

  1. Pretty photos!!
    And a really delicious cake!! I'll try the recipe, and will wait overnight, even if it sounds a little difficult!! I will see it like a cheesecake :P
    Sorry for my bad english ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Ohh I'm so happy that you decided to make this cake! Don't forget to tell me how it turned out. I hope you'll like it :))

      Delete
  2. I made the cake this afternoon. There is too much butter and sugar to my taste. I will try again with half butter and sugar. The pictures are really nice though. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cecile! There's quite a lot of butter and sugar in this cake, however, for me it was ok. I hope the next attempt will be better!

      Delete
  3. I really love all the recipes on your blog!! I've bookmarked so many of them now and I'm going to try this and your apple pie really soon :)
    x
    Amanda | www.thecoolyork.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm so happy you like my recipes! :) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...