Friday, May 23, 2014

Fudgy Cocoa Avocado Brownies (Butter, Egg & Flour-Free)






I've been trying to healthify some of the foods I make quite often recently. And sometimes I still can't believe that healthy food can taste so good. There's no surprise that the web is full of recipes with strange ingredients, for example, brownies with black beans or applesauce. No way, how can you make brownies without butter? And, how can you put avocado in it? It should taste horrible. But, you know, I think it's unbelievable how healthy ingredients can be incorporated in our favourite fatty desserts without any unwanted taste. Science! And then, one day, I decided to make avocado brownies. While they were in the oven, I was very sceptical. But I was so curious to try them that I didn't even let them cool down. When I tasted them, my mind was blown out. They were the fudgiest and the most amazing brownies in the world! With no eggs, no flour, no refined sugar, no butter!! The next day I made them again and I will be making them again and again! The most surprising thing was that they came out perfectly on the first attempt. There's nothing to be added. And believe me, you can't taste any avocado. You better stop reading and mix up a batch of these.


Fudgy Cocoa Avocado Brownies (Butter, Egg & Flour-Free)


2 avocados, ripe
200g light brown sugar
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
50g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant coffee granules
50g ground oats

1) Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a 8x8 inch/20x20cm sicilone baking dish (or if using a metal one, line with parchment paper). Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, mix together mashed avocados, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil. Add cocoa powder, instant cofee, salt, vanilla sugar and mix to combine. Add ground oats and mix just until combined. 

3) Bake for 20 minutes. Cool at least one hour before slicing. ENJOY!

Recipe by collecting memories


27 comments:

  1. You won't believe!! Well, yes, you will, why not??

    Today I was going to prepare avocado brownies!!! But finally, I'll make tahini brownies. So, next week, I was going to buy avocados to prepare fajitas, so I use that chance to make the avocado ones.

    The recipe I want to make use eggs, and chocolate instead of cocoa. But I love sooooooo much cocoa brownies, that I'll have to try both, then compare, then tell you, then repeat again... :P
    I love they're so fudgy!!! And I love your photos!!

    Have a nice weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great! I think tahini would give a perfectly fudgy texture!

      You know, I actually didn't use eggs because I didn't have any and was too lazy to go to the store. I wasn't expecting that this recipe will come out that great and that I will publish it! This was a discovery :D

      I don't know why but I like cocoa brownies more than chocolate ones! Maybe because it's easier to make them with cocoa, no melting, no cooling etc :D

      Thank you!! I would like to hear about your tahini and avocado brownies (or see in your blog). Have a great weekend too!!!

      Delete
  2. Love to use avocado in my desserts and baking too. These dark beauties are truly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about avocado! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  3. You had me at coffee granules. Anything with coffee has my name on it. I have made black bean brownies that turned out fantastic, but I also tried black bean AND avocado brownies..with dates instead of sugar and well...it was a flop. I still ate them though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love coffee in desserts too. I can't resist anything coffee-flavored ! In these brownies you can't really taste coffee, but I think it improves the overall flavor. I actually wanted to make avocado and black bean brownies! Okay, now I will try it separately! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, these look so dark and fudgy, its almost too much! I LOVE the use of avocados and the fact that you made these without eggs! ^^ If you try the black bean and avo brownies, post it. I've tried both separately, but never together. These are enough though - absolutely fantastic Gaby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I will definitely post if I make black bean & avocado brownies!

      Delete
  5. That sounds so delicious, can't wait to try it. Is there any substitute for the brown sugar you'd recommend? Would honey work here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might use brown sugar, but it might affect the flavour. I'm not really sure about honey, you might try, but I can't guarantee the result will be good because I haven't tried that. Hope you'll try this!

      Delete
  6. Do you just use a food processor for the oats? Going to try this tmrw looks amazing yet it's healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just use a food processor! Hope you're gonna love this!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I never count calories, but there is approximately 112 calories in one brownie. However, this is not accurate and it depends on many factors like what cocoa powder you use or the size of your avocado.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Both old-fashioned and quick-cooking should work here as they're ground. But I used old-fashioned ones.

      Delete
  9. What a great alternative... I just did today... It's in the oven... I let you know how it turns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Can't wait to find out how they turn out! :)

      Delete
  10. just tried it, taste soooooo good! thanks for this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can i omit the instant coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can! However, I find these taste better with the addition of coffee.

      Delete
  12. Omg these are so good! Thank you for the recipe. I was skeptical of avocado deserts too, so glad I gave it a shot. I actually cut the sugar to 100g and they were still awesome. So quick and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How big where the avocados? I recently bought some little guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were medium, small avocados shouldn't make a big difference, but you can always use 3 if they're really tiny :)

      Delete
  14. Can I use coffee grounds instead of instant coffee granuals?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there. I have just come across the recipe and can't wait to make it tonight. Is there some way to incorporate some dark chocolate as well?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,
    The very next time I read a blog, I hope that it does not disappoint me as much as this particular one.Funny Happy New Year Quotes I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I truly thought you would probably have something useful to say. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you could possibly fix if you were not too busy searching for attention.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...