Saturday, January 10, 2015

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies






These chocolate crinkle cookies are one of my favorite holiday cookies. Their texture is very similar to brownies. They're chewy, fudgy and deeply chocolatey on the inside and crispy on the outside. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and it looked like a foolproof and delicious recipe. However, I wasn't sure about using oil in cookies. I always use butter but this time I decided to make a change and give it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised! They turned out more than delicious. I made them larger than the recipe indicated and I got less cookies (around 50 instead of 70). And I highly recommend you to do the same. Also, there are a few important steps to follow if you want them to turn out perfectly.
1) use the best quality dark unsweetened cocoa powder. 
2) coat them in powdered sugar generously before baking. 
3) Refrigerate for AT LEAST 4 hours. Preferably overnight. The longer - the better! 
4) DO NOT overbake. If you are making larger cookies like I did, it will take ~2 more minutes to bake. Don't be afraid to take one cookie out of the oven after 10 minutes to test how much time they need to stay in the oven. DO take them out of the oven when their centers look underbaked. When you take out of the oven, they will continue baking for a few minutes and their centers will harden a little bit. You do want chewy cookies, don't you? So don't try to leave the kitchen while they bake. Keep an eye on them!

Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

120g (1 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
400g (2 cups) white sugar
120ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
250g (2 cups) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
~1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (for coating)

1) In a medium bowl, mix together cocoa powder, sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix until smooth and shiny.

2) In another bowl, combine together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the cocoa mixture with a wooden spoon just until smooth.

3) Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (I chilled them overnight).

4) Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Prepare 4 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 1 inch (I rolled them into 2 inch balls. Recommended!) balls. Coat each ball in icing sugar and place onto cookie sheets. Leave some space because they will spread. 

5) Bake for 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies, and 12-14 minutes for larger cookies. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.

Recipe adapted from here


47 comments:

  1. thanks for explanation , I will try to do and I'll let you know
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, did u have to flatten the dough before putting it into the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! No, it is not necessary to flatten the dough. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. can you use EOO instead of vegetable oil

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long will these last, and how are they best stored after baking&cooling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long will these last, and how are they best stored after baking&cooling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is best to keep them in an airtight container, at room temperature. I'm not sure how long these will last, but definitely for a few days. Many cookies stay soft and chewy for up to one week.

      Delete
    2. Can these cookies be frozen and enjoyed later? Looking for holiday baking ideas :)

      Delete
  6. These look amazing! I hope they taste even better. My competition is Blue Gate Bakery in Shipshewana. Hopefully my son will like mine just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these and followed your exact recipe but my batter is EXTREMELY thick and sticky... is that normal??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticky batter is absolutely normal. That's why you want to coat it generously with powdered sugar before placing on the baking sheet.

      Delete
  8. Baked these for church last Sunday. They went over so well that my husband asked me to bake another batch for him to share with his coworkers! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So glad everybody liked it!

      Delete
  9. My cookie dough can't be shaped cause it is like a paste not like a dough . What to do now ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The batter has to be soft and sticky. Have you refrigerated it? If it is too sticky, you can even place it in the freezer or use a spoon to take a piece of the batter and drop it into the powdered sugar and coat it.

      Delete
  10. I baked this cookie it came out well even thought it was like paste . I freezed it and scooped it .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recipe is great but I made one tray of 2 inch dough balls and one tray of 1.5 inch (2 inch was too large for my liking) and only ended up with 26 cookies. Not sure how anyone can get 50 cookies with those measurements

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got 77 cookies. Mine were anywhere between 1 and 1.5 inch balls.

      Delete
    2. I made 2 inch balls as well and only ended up with 18 cookies so I'm also confused about the yield. I triple checked that I added the right amount of ingredients too. Hmmmmmmm

      Delete
  12. Haven't baked these in years. I too was unsure of using so much oil. These cookies turned out very well. They were gobbled up on Christmas by my brothers.
    Refrigerate the dough overnight. Use a small muffin scooper to shape the dough. Expect thick sticky dough. This is a good easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a question regarding measurements, do you mean 2 cups of flour (450g)? Or am I supposed to use 1 cup flour (250g)?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should use 450 grams of flour (2 cups) :)

      Delete
    2. Is it ok if will mix it manually and dont use electric mixer?

      Delete
    3. Thank you for these cookies but I followed the grams measurements and it became too runny until I read (2 cups), so I suggest you correct the recipe.
      450g Instead of ((250g (2 cups) all purpose flour)).
      Thanks again :)

      Delete
    4. cup flour spooned and leveled is 125gm, so 2cups is 250gm. I put mine in the freezer because we have a warmer climate, so the cookie balls don't soften too much (or look like they're melting) before they get to the oven. Works like a charm. Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  14. I just mixed all this and put in the fridge but before I go farther my dough is runny is it supposed to be that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not runny. If you didn't cream the eggs, sugar, oil, cocoa, and vanilla first before adding everything then it doesn't come out right. The purpose behind creaming everything is to make the cookies chewy, and so it incorporates the flour, salt, and baking powder. It's like making sugar cookies in a sense that you are going after the chewy aspect.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. The sugar used for the dough, is it regular white sugar or powdered sugar? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is regular white granulated sugar.

      Delete
  16. Made it yesterday and it was a big hit that im making it again today.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can i use light brown sugar instead of white?

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! These look SO good. Totally going to try these tonight (and bake them tomorrow morning ;))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can unsweetened applesauce be used in place of the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like to freeze the dough and bake later. Do I coat the powdered sugar before freezing the dough or coat the powderd sugar just before they go into the oven ?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For some reason, my dough is very dry and powdery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These were amazing as a gluten free cookie! I used 2 cups of gluten free flour and everybody loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Thanks for this recipe! I keep on baking in batches, that's how good it is!
    My only question though, how long can u keep the batter in the fridge? I was hoping to make the batter in advance and bake them in batches coz my oven is small & i'm working. And, making it is a little time consuming but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This does not turn into a "dough" but is more like a batter. I added another 1/4 cup of flower but it still was a batter like consistency. I refrigerated the batter overnight but it was terrible to try to "roll" into balls. It was a gooey mess. I baked them anyhow and they turned out good. How do I get a dough and not a batter consistency?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I want to bake some for a friend going for vacation to give to his family. It might take a day before he reaches his destination. Will the cookies last by then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you keep frozen till you send them

      Delete
  27. Hi gonna try the recipe today I don't have white sugar I have turburnado sugar or brown sugar can I use either ?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for the recipe, the cookies turned out just as you said, they were delicious the only thing I only got 4 dozen out of it, but I'm totally ok with it, it just means I need to make more which I'm okay with it! I shared with all of my neighbors and all the cookies were gone in a matter of an hr!

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello I want to make this one. but I'm low carbs diet what ingredients can I subtitude. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...