You already know how addicted to peanut butter I am. And you can imagine how much I love cupcakes with peanut butter added to both the batter and the frosting. These cupcakes are salty, soft like a sponge and extremely light. The texture of the cupcakes pairs perfectly with a rich peanut butter frosting. The frosting is not like any other frosting though. It's very thick and fudgy, you could eat it by the spoonful. However, these are very rich (considering the fact that the frosting is almost the same size as the cupcake itself) so you will only need one cupcake to satisfy your cravings. Or if you're like me, you will eat 4 at a time and feel absolutely no guilt because you can't feel guilty while eating a peanut butter cupcake.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
85g (6 tbsp/3/4 cup) butter, room temperature
225g (1 cup) white sugar
83g (1/3 cup) peanut butter
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp salt
120ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk, room temperature
220g (1 3/4 cup) flour
2 tsp baking powder
375g (3 cups) powdered sugar
250g (1 cup) peanut butter
1/2 tsp salt
113g (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
5 tbsp heavy cream, room temperature
1) Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners (you will need 16).
2) In a large bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until very smooth.
3) In another bowl, combine together flour, baking powder and salt.
4) Beat (on low speed) one third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Beat until smooth. Add half of the buttermilk and beat until incorporated. Repeat this step one more time, adding one third of the flour mixture and the remaining buttermilk. End with the remaining flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
5) Divide the batter among 16 cupcake cups. Bake for 17 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool until completely cooled before frosting.
6) To make the frosting, Beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter, salt and butter. Add heavy cream (try adding 4 tablespoons, it might be enough to achieve the desired consistency). Continue beating for about 5 minutes or until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and enjoy.
Recipe by collecting memories